Sunday, March 20, 2016

Context in music

                                                                 Context in Music

     Knowledge of the music's context provides an understanding of its cultural and historical significance. Students who can understand the history behind a specific song such as, Sometimes I feel Like a Motherless Child, can understand the cultural meaning behind the piece. This pieces dates back to a time when children of slaves were sold away from their parents. Negro spirituals have christian concepts as well as the tribulations endured by slavery. This piece does state "sometimes", which may indicate that the person may not be suffering constantly. The words may indicate a slave that is longing for his homeland, or one that may be separated from his or her family. It could indicate a slave that may have been free but left behind family that were still in captivity.


The title of this piece is, Sometimes I feel like a Motherless Child, performed by Bessie Griffin. Negro spirituals, such as this one, were created by African slaves in the United States. This song is orchestrated using organ and vocals. 




Sometimes I feel like a motherless child Sometimes I feel like a motherless child Sometimes I feel like a motherless child A long way from home A long way from home Sometimes I feel like I'm almost gone Sometimes I feel like I'm almost gone Sometimes I feel like I'm almost gone Way up in the heavenly land Way up in the heavenly land True believers a long way from home Along way from home Sometimes I feel like a motherless child A long way from home A long way from home True believers a long way from home A long way from home A long way from home A long way from home

1 comment:

  1. Whitney,

    Module three's blog was supposed to discuss how context affects structure. You have addressed context, but not as it relates to structure.

    ReplyDelete